Wednesday, January 12, 2011

American Idiot The Movie?



Who knew one album could have this many legs? After turning American Idiot, their 2004 politicized musical tour de force, into a hit Broadway play, Green Day may be taking the musical to the silver screen.

As playwright and American Idiot director Michael Mayer explained in a New York Times interview, the leap to the big screen is a strong possibility.

“We’re definitely in talks. There are people who have the ability to make it happen, who have expressed genuine interest in it, and we want to do it, so I think it could happen.”While Mayer was mum on potential producers, Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman are said to be interested, according to news reports. Lead singer Billie Joe would likely play the role of St. Jimmy in American Idiot's film version. "I think that's a no brainer," Mayer said.

Armstrong also expressed an interest in writing an original musical with Mayer.

“I think I’d be interested in the future of really getting into writing specifically for a show, that’s something I’d really love to do. The kind of music that I like is very immediate and very catchy, and you identify with it quickly, and I try to write that way. And in musical theater it’s the same thing: you identify with the songs immediately, the good ones anyway.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails